A tasty and filling spring soup, inspired by medieval cooking techniques and produce.
If you have any spring herbs handy, I am sure they would work great, but we were too tired to forge this evening.
- Prep Time: 10m
- Cook Time: 30m
- Total Time: 40m
- 2 spring onion
- 1 fennel (bulb)
- 2 onion
- 2 sticks of selleri
- 150 milliliters pearl barley
- a bit of cooking fat (we used coconut fat as that was what was at hand). Lard would be perfect.
- Make sure to have a fire going with some embers.
- Cut the vegetables into chunks, dices and slices
- Fry them off quickly to soften the onion in the bottom of the cooking pot
- Pour in water (the amount you want for the soup)
- Let it simmer for a bit
- Add the barley
- Let it all simmer until the barley is tender (this should take about 20 minutes)
- Season it what-ever you got handy, but it will need a bit of salt. Herbs would be great.
- And it is ready.