My mom’s version of a goulash stew.
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 3 hours
Total Time 3 hours 20 minutes
Servings 4 people
- 500 grams beef almost all cuts work - I often use a cheep roast
- 1 small can tomato paste 70 g
- 200 grams onion coarsely chopped
- 35 grams butter
- 600 grams Potatoes raw and diced
- 1 liter beef broth
- 2 red peppers diced. Optional
- 100 grams garlic cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons good paprika optimally edelsüss paprika. Not the old stuff off the shelf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- black pepper
- Flutes baguette or home made bread
- Creme fraiche or sour cream
Brown meat and onions in the butter in the pot you want to make goulash in.
Pour the broth in and add all other ingredients except potatoes and cream cheese.
Let it cook. If you used a cheap cut so simmer until meat is tender - I will often let it cook all afternoon. If you have used expensive tender goulash meat should be ok to just cook the meat with potatoes - the meat will be tender.
When the meat is tender add potatoes and cream cheese.
Season to taste with salt, pepper and more paprika - it should be spicy.
Cook until the potatoes are tender. It should take about 15-20 minutes.
Server your goulash with lots of crème fraîche, bread and a good beer.